According to the recently released 2020 Bluetooth Market Update, total annual Bluetooth® device shipments will exceed six billion by 2024. A big part of that is due to the trust, reliability, and staying power Bluetooth technology continues to earn across a range of traditional device market categories, from audio, automotive, and connected devices like wearables to phones, tablets, and PCs.
Updated forecasts outlined in the 2020 Bluetooth Market Update, which is supported by forecasts from ABI Research and insights from several other analyst firms, continues to show that trends in traditional Bluetooth markets are on the rise with no sign of slowing down.
Audio & Entertainment
Bluetooth audio enables consumers to experience music and entertainment free from wires. The introduction of LE Audio will help further accelerate market growth with nearly 2 billion audio and entertainment devices forecasted to be shipped annually by 2024. In addition to enhancing performance and adding support for hearing aids, LE Audio will introduce Audio Sharing, an innovative use case for Bluetooth technology that allows you to share the music you listen to on your smartphone with family and friends or directly tune into TVs in airports, bars, gyms, and other public venues that you interact with on a daily basis. The 2020 Bluetooth Market Update reports that:
- With more design options and the introduction of LE Audio, the adoption of Bluetooth audio continues to grow, trending toward one billion Bluetooth audio devices shipping in 2020
- Rapid growth in portable wireless speakers and soundbars demonstrate consumer preference and confidence in Bluetooth wireless audio devices and that nearly 97% of all speakers are forecasted to include Bluetooth technology by 2024
- Thanks to the advantages and flexibility of the Bluetooth Low Energy (LE), it is anticipated that, by 2024, half of all audio and entertainment device shipments will include Bluetooth LE technology
Phone, Tablet & PC
Bluetooth technology is the standard for personal wireless connections. Included in 100% of new smartphones, tablets, and PCs, Bluetooth technology continues to keep pace with the market for new use cases and embrace the latest market trends — from navigation to automation to control. According to the 2020 Bluetooth Market Update:
- Whether it’s indoor navigation, item finding, or point of interest information solutions, more than 1.8 billion actively engaged handsets by 2024 will continue to make Bluetooth location services an integral part of the smartphone experience
- From keyboards and mice to speakers, headphones, or other connected peripherals, developers rely on Bluetooth technology to eliminate wires and create a reliable, clutter-free user experience, ensuring that 70% of accessories will include Bluetooth technology by 2024
- Commercial and industrial environments are turning to Bluetooth technology to support large-scale device network provisioning and control, adopting smartphones and tablets as mobile displays for managing and monitoring critical equipment in day-to-day operations and supporting a 3.2x growth in annual Bluetooth device networks device shipments by 2024
Creating connections between the car and driver, Bluetooth technology supports new levels of safety, security, and access while enhancing the in-car experience. Thanks to lower power consumption, enhanced performance, and improved reliability, Bluetooth technology is the automotive standard for both in and out of the car. Highlighted in the 2020 Bluetooth Market Update:
- Bluetooth technology continues to gain traction with factory and aftermarket solutions and is now included in nearly all new cars, trucks, and SUVs with two-thirds of all cars on the road forecasted to include Bluetooth technology by 2024
- The smartphone as a key fob is becoming an increasingly popular trend with annual shipments of Bluetooth key fobs and accessories projected to increase 60% over the next five years
- Four to six Bluetooth enabled sensors will be in every future car as new use cases — such as infotainment, passive keyless entry, tire pressure monitoring, and condition alerts — are creating a greater wireless-sensor demand
With the support of a committed member community, Bluetooth technology has met the growing demands for wireless innovation for more than 20 years and is expected to continue doing so for the foreseeable future.
For a complete look at all updated trends for forecasts across other traditional, such as connected devices like wearable, and emerging Bluetooth markets, download the 2020 Bluetooth Market Update.