Bluetooth SIG Announces Finalists in Fourth Annual Bluetooth Breakthrough Awards
Product, Application and Prototype finalists offer glimpse of what’s coming at CES 2016
Today, the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) announced the finalists of its Bluetooth Breakthrough Awards 2016. The Breakthrough Awards celebrate the best Bluetooth enabled products and applications available on the market today, and recognize innovative prototypes coming soon. The 2016 finalists range from smart kitchen appliances to point-of-sale terminals and showcases the many ways that Bluetooth® technology propels digital innovation and allows developers and manufacturers to create the Internet of Things (IoT).
“Our members continue to amaze us with previously undreamed-of uses for our technology. I was blown away by the innovations we saw this year, particularly in the prototype category,” said Mark Powell, executive director of the Bluetooth SIG. “Only Bluetooth can make such a wide variety of new products possible in such a short amount of time.”
“These submissions also provide a glimpse of what to expect at CES and further into 2016,” added Errett Kroeter, vice president of marketing for the Bluetooth SIG. “Home automation is certainly an important trend in the development of the IoT, but we will also see exciting developments outside the home in areas like location-based services, retail and energy harvesting. All of these categories and more are represented by Breakthrough Awards finalists.”
Finalists by Category:
- Fliegl Tracker, beacon-based system for food safety documentation (Fliegl Agratechnik GmbH)
- Connected Ranges and Wall Ovens, smart kitchen appliances (GE Appliances)
- Switch, Home-kit enabled wall outlet (iDevices, LLC)
- Ilumi LED Smartbulb, smart bulb with mesh technology (iLumi Solutions)
- Loopd Badge, beacon-based badge for corporate events (Loopd Inc)
- Perfect Bake, smart baking scale (Perfect Company)
- Powered by Avi-On Ecosystem, mesh-based lighting and smart home control application (Avi-On)
- Bleu Point-of-Sale Network, beacon-based POS terminal and application (Bleu Tech Enterprises, LLC)
- ReSound Smart App, hearing aid and smartphone/Apple Watch application (GN ReSound A/S)
- Bioshift, automatic bicycle gear shift system (Baron Biosystems Ltd.)
- BeaconOutlet, beacon-based replacement for traditional outlets to easily create IoT infrastructures (BeaconGrid)
- Smart home device, product to control devices (Cassia Networks)
- Phree, smart pen that can write on any surface and transmit in real time to most apps (OTM Technologies Ltd.)
- MudWatt Wireless Weather Station, an environmental sensor powered by mud (Sapphire Circuits LLC)
- iCap, smart pill-bottle cap fits existing prescription bottles to improve adherence to medication schedules (Timer Cap Company)
- ChaseWind Cycling Glasses, smart heads-up display for cyclists (ChaseWind)
- Xtomp, wireless guitar pedal that replicates a variety of pedal effects (Hotone Audio Company)
- Easy Sou-vide, smart electric cooker and temperature control (KitchBot)
The SIG will announce the overall winner, along with each category winner, on January 5, 2015 at Discover Blue, the annual Bluetooth media and demo event at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas. Winners will be present at the Discover Blue event. The overall winner will also be awarded two round trip tickets to attend Bluetooth World 2016 in March, with entry into the event and free exhibition space, valued at $12,500 USD. All finalists will also receive the nRF52 DK Development Kit from Nordic Semiconductor ASA and the Bluetooth Smart Starter Development Kit from Qualcomm Technologies, Inc.
“We believe in continually developing, enhancing, and expanding the reach of wireless technology,” said Alf Helge Omre, Business Development Manager of Nordic Semiconductor. “The Bluetooth SIG does an excellent job of fostering innovation and collaboration in the industry and we are proud to support this great program and all of these finalists who change our expectations of what a wireless product can do.”
This year’s Breakthrough Awards were proudly sponsored by: Platinum Sponsor: Nordic Semiconductor ASA; Gold Sponsor: Frontline Test Equipment, Inc., and Silver Sponsors: Anaren, Broadcom Corporation, and Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. For complete details on all finalists, visit: http://www.bluetooth.com/news-and-events/awards.
About Bluetooth® Wireless Technology
Bluetooth wireless technology is the global wireless standard enabling simple, secure connectivity for an expanding range of devices and serves as the backbone of the connected world. Through an updatable platform and low power consumption, Bluetooth technology creates new application opportunities for the mobile phone, consumer electronics, PC, automotive, health & fitness and smart home industries. With nearly three billion devices shipping annually, Bluetooth is the wireless technology of choice for developers, product manufacturers, and consumers worldwide. The Bluetooth SIG empowers over 28,000 member companies to collaborate, innovate and guide Bluetooth wireless technology. For more information, please visit www.bluetooth.com.
INK Public Relations
+1 (512) 382-8983
Europe, Middle East, Africa
+44 (0) 845-3707-024
Elite PR Consultants
+86-21-6373-2255 ext. 128
Strategic Marketing and Communications, Inc.
Apex Communications Consultants
886-2-7718-7777 ext. 517